Tuesday 4 February 2014

Message from Barnet UNISON

Dear Supporter

We are now 56 days before our branch officers are kicked out of the UNISON office and all facility time is removed. I would like to thank those branches who have already sent in messages of support which we are going to be using as part of communication with our members, so please carry on sending in those messages.

We have just produced ‘Sign our Petition’ video (1 minute) http://youtu.be/ePgn632jOV4 .

We could do with help promoting the video and petition on websites/face book and Twitter. If you are able publicise please send links so we can show them to our members.

It is only now that staff/members even HR are actually asking me if the Council is going to implement this final cut. My answer is yes unless there is a change in the attitude by our Barnet Council.

Below is a transcript of comment made by Conservative Councillor Robert Ramsspeaking at Budget Scrutiny 26.11.2013.

The Video clip can be viewed here http://youtu.be/-7dTF6Kmej8

This is what he had to say about the cut to Facility Time (by the way we have been informed his full time job is a political post in the Greater London Authority (GLA).)

“ I come from a completely different standpoint on this I think that they should be able to do their job without any funding whatsoever ....I think there are lots of examples of councils, authorities across London across the country that provide no funding for activity and I believe we should be moving to a model were we don’t provide any funding for union activity, I think as I stated before if we are looking to make cuts out there, there are some difficult decisions, I think it is clear area  we can make even more savings, the proposals provide a generous amount of funding, over generous in my personal view towards the service I think as we go forward and tougher decisions are made we will get to the point where we will remove all funding............................

I don’t think the work they do needs to be funded by us, they do some excellent work and as I said they are some other authorities I organisations across London, but trade unions provide an excellent service to their members by no means do I denigrate their work the unions do, they provide an excellent service to their members..........I think there is enough ability for them to do it whilst carrying on doing their work for the council”

We are sending a delegation of reps from our branch to speak at the London Rally: “Hands off our Unions” organised by Peoples Assembly on Tuesday 11 February 6.30 pm.


Once again many thanks for any help you are able to give on behalf of all of our members.

Best wishes
John Burgess
Branch Secretary.
Barnet UNISON
Barnet UNISON “Watch it & Share it”
Barnet UNISON AGM 12 March 3.30pm NLBP

Keep up to date go to the new Barnet UNISON website athttp://www.barnetunison.me.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.